In this episode we get to hang out with Kai Honeck again and learn how to make our own lightsaber duel, both with the help of a computer enhancement and using pre-computer techniques. Kai teaches us the difference between visual effects and special effects and how even an average family can create a little movie magic of their own.
-As a family, make your own short film using some kind of visual effect. Be creative! You can use lights, sounds, or any other aid you can think of to help spruce up your movie.
-Parents ask little learners:
1) Kai said that sometimes it can take years to finish the special effects when making a movie. Can you think of something that you worked on making for a long time just because that was what you wanted to do? (baking, Legos, writing a story, etc.)
2) If you could add a special effect to your life for just one day, what would it be and why?
3) What’s one new thing you learned along with the McLaughlins in their interview with Kai?
-Little learners ask parents:
1) Kai said that the green screen can make it look like you are anywhere – if we had a magic green screen in our living room, what location would you want to be in the back ground?
2) Can you think of the first movie you saw that had really cool special or visual effects?
3) What’s a hobby you’ve had in the past that you spent lots of time learning and cultivating (similar to what Kai does with video)?